Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

What should I do if my dog eats a battery?

Batteries can be toxic to dogs, so if you think your dog has eaten a battery, call your vet right away.

Why would my dog eat a battery?

Dogs have a bad habit of eating first, and thinking later. They don't eat batteries because they taste good, but rather because they're interesting and unusual to dogs, and dogs are curious creatures.

In addition to that, some breeds of dog, such as Labradors, just really love to eat and chew on anything and everything.

The chances of dogs eating or chewing batteries are also fairly high because many household items like remote controls, watches, toys, hearing aids, and smoke alarms contain them.

Dog Eats or Chews Battery, Memphis Emergency Vet

Different Batteries Cause Different Problems

The most common batteries ingested by dogs are alkaline dry cell battery (e.g., 9-volt, D, C, AA, AAA) or button/disc batteries. Each type of battery comes with different issues if chewed or swallowed by a dog.

Standard Alkaline Batteries

When swallowed, alkaline batteries can cause irritation or obstruction in the dog's digestive tract. When chewed, they can also cause some chemical burns in their mouth.

The majority of household alkaline batteries contain potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. When these compounds come into contact with the dog's internal tissues, liquefaction necrosis will eventually occur, causing deeply penetrating ulcers.

Disc Batteries

Disc shaped or button batteries can allow an electric current to pass to the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract. This may result in a condition called current-induced necrosis, which can cause perforation of the mouth, esophagus, stomach or small intestine.

Lithium button batteries are the most dangerous. Just one 3-volt battery can result in severe necrosis to the esophagus or gastrointestinal tract within 15 to 30 minutes.

Heavy Metals

Certain batteries contain heavy metals (like zinc, mercury, lead, cobalt, nickel or cadmium). When these types of batteries are ingested, heavy metal toxicity can occur. This rare, and usually only happens if the battery remains in the gastrointestinal tract for more than 2 or 3 days.


Whatever type of battery your dog eats, it's essential that you seek veterinary attention immediately.

IMPORTANT: If you suspect your dog has swallowed a battery, do not try to Induce vomiting. Vomiting may cause corrosive injury to the esophagus and oropharynx.

The vet will perform a thorough oral exam and physical exam, and flush and lavage  the mouth thoroughly. X-rays will be taken to look for the presence of the battery in the stomach.

To prevent corrosive injury, the battery should be removed promptly. The use of endoscopy or surgery may be necessary.

Once the battery is removed, followup treatment may include anti-ulcer medication and a bland or high-fiber diet.


To prevent your dog from chewing or eating batteries in the first place, keep battery packages, remote controls, household appliances and toys that contain batteries out of reach in secured cupboards or drawers.

Allow your dog to play with toys that contain batteries only under careful supervision supervision, and remove the battery right away if the dog “kills” the toy. Disposing of any destroyed toys is also usually a good idea to prevent choking.

If you think your dog may have swallowed a battery, contact our Memphis emergency vets right away.

Animal Emergency Center in Memphis

Comments About Our Care

  • "Great caring and well-qualified staff. Very concerned about their patients. Move things along as quickly as they can. Always glad they are here when we need them!"
    - Cynthia R.
Evening & Weekend Hours Regular Business Hours