There is a long list of edible and inedible items that are toxic to dogs when they aren't necessarily harmful to humans. If you notice your dog acting differently and you're unsure if they've ingested something poisonous, our Memphis vets are here to share symptoms of poisoning in dogs and what you should do.
What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?
Stay calm and make sure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Then get your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
Call Us: (901) 323-4563
Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs
The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Heart problems
- Kidney failure
- Excessive bruising or bleeding
- Unsteady on feet
- Abnormal heart beat
- Oral irritation
- Pale gums
- Inability to urinate
What substances are poisonous to dogs?
Most of the poisoning cases our Cordova vets see are the result of dogs getting into substances around the house that are not good for them. Certain foods, medications or household substances that are safe for humans can be dangerous if ingested by a dog.
The following substances are the most common dog poisons we see at Germantown Parkway Animal Hospital.
Over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil and Aleve, as well as herbal and nutraceutical products, can be poisonous to dogs. Prescription medications that are beneficial to humans can also be highly poisonous when ingested by dogs.
Animals have different metabolisms than people. Some foods, such as chocolate, onions and garlic, are perfectly safe for people but dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.
Medications like painkillers, de-wormers, and flea/tick treatments can be poisonous to dogs if consumed or used incorrectly.
Household cleaning products are a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems. Chemicals in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools also can act as dog poison.
Rodenticides & Insecticides
Rat poison and insecticides can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for.
Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms.
Lawn & Garden Products
Lawn and garden products, including dyes and fertilizers, can be toxic to dogs when ingested. If you use products on your grass or garden, be sure to keep an eye on your pet and not let them near those areas.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.